MUTTER (2015)

Teylers Museum, Haarlem

In 1725, Würzburg Germany, Dr. Johann Beringer discovered what is known today as the Lügensteine or Lying Stones, the earliest recorded falsified fossils. The Teylers Museum houses six of the original fakes as part of their permanent collection as well as the original thesis published in 1726.

On 30 September 2015, a seventh lugenstein appeared in the collection and Beringer showed up in the main hall.

Special thanks to Jakob Ehrlich, Clare Butcher, Jasper Coppes, Yvonne Dröge Wendel and the Rietveld Academy, as well as to Herman Voogd and Ewout Koek of the Teylers Museum.

More info: